"David A. Bandel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:34:28 -0500
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 07:21:25 -0500
Michael Hipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[snip]

But I'm dreaming again. If that flagship of New Americanism (Dept. of Homeland Implosion) can't see it, then likely will few others.

You're scary.  Is this what Americans (US Citizens in this context)
think of this Homeland Security thing?  If so, holy fsck.

I have to wonder if the solution to all our problems is more bureaucrats. The only thing scarier is an efficient bureaucracy. My Dad, who grew up in East Germany until the wall went up, is scared. He is familiar with the real SS and, even worse, the Russians.

I am not real sure what the options are. It is not a Dem. vs GOP thing, it is a government vs citizen thing. Our watchdog NGO's are more concerned with crosses on government property (Arlington will be next) than any freedoms promised in the constitution. Thanks to our wonderful foreign policy over the past two decades, there are a small group of nuts who want to kill me bacause of where I was born. The economy is not real great anywhere either.

I try to work with the system but it feels like climbing uphill in peanut butter. The line from Casablanca is "They're sleeping everywhere in America." Heaven help us.

</scared dungless>

Homeland Security, since its inception, has looked and sounded like a
new Nazi SS.  I didn't server 20 years in the US Military to have the US
turned into a police state, but it looks more and more like that every
day.

To wit:
The feds had been after a major drug manufacturer (a chemist who was
making crack, etc, in large quantities).  I agree he should be jailed
forever.  But ...
The feds couldn't catch him under the normal rules, so they relabeled
him a chemical weapons manufacturer and grabbed him under the new
anti-terrorism laws.

I'm sorry, but this abuse of power by power-hungry agencies is way
beyond reasonable.  While I'm glad the bastardīs in jail, I'm extremely
unhappy with the way he got there.  Welcome to the Police State of
America (where you might be next for using Linux instead of M$).  I
expect the RIAA will start pushing to label file sharers as terrorists
next.

I'm appalled and disgusted and glad to be living outside the US at this
point in time.

-- Alma

Sure the US constitution has its flaws, but it is a damned sight better than what we have now.