Michael Hipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:23:07 -0500
Net Llama! wrote:

Why would you need to cheat?  Are you using the 'upgrade' optoin from the
RH9 Installer, or do you mean, reload the box fresh with RH9?  If you're
reloading, then you need to backup all of /home and backup /etc/passwd,
/etc/group & /etc/shadow

Yes, sorry, wrong word. I'm doing a clean install of RH9. (I don't trust upgrades.)

So if I backup the files mentioned above and by Keith Morse, the accounts will be there just as they were before and won't have to be re-entered?

That should keep all your data. Owner information may be a problem with the /home stuff depending in how you do it (a real backup that preserves owner/group data as opposed to a cp from a backup CD for instance.). I think the accounts need to exist for the data to keep the owners.

Can you install RH9 on the new disk and then mount the old disk and mv the stuff that way? (I don't know, I am asking.)

-- Alma