Alma J Wetzker wrote:
That should keep all your data. Owner information may be a problem with the /home stuff depending in how you do it (a real backup that preserves owner/group data as opposed to a cp from a backup CD for instance.). I think the accounts need to exist for the data to keep the owners.

Can you install RH9 on the new disk and then mount the old disk and mv the stuff that way? (I don't know, I am asking.)

Net Llama wrote an excellent SxS some years ago about upgrading partitions and such and I've followed it several times with no problems on UIDs and GIDs. They are easily preserved. I won't use backups per-se for this, just copy them from the old disk to the new.

Michael