On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:16:59 +1000
James McDonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> David A. Bandel wrote:
>
> >FYI,
> >
> >For those of you who are interested, the spammers are winning.  Yet
> >another RBL is shutting down (blackhole.compu.net).  They are being
> >forced to shut down due to massive attacks on their servers by
> >spammers.
> >

> I understand that nothing can be done if you saturate the pipe. But
> wouldn't stateful inspection and some rules to say `when x number of
> connections occur from y host in z time' cause the firewall to drop
> the attacking hosts packet and at least try for partial service over
> none?

It's not just DDoS, it's Joe Jobs, the works.  The shitbags have pulled
out all the stops and are attacking these lists.  Just another example
of criminal behavior driving the show.  But why not, Bill Gates has
taught them well.

> hasn't m$ moved to akagami or someone using linux so they can keep
> microsoft.com up in the face of persistent attack?

Yes, they're using Akamai Linux servers which are distributed all over
the globe.

> >Most likely no one on this list falls into this category, but if you
> >know anyone who has a company that grosses more than 100 million a
> >year and an influential politician in their pocket, they need to
> >start lobbying hard to stop spam and push ARIN, APNIC, RIPE, LANIC to
> >revoke IP addresses of countries like China and Brasil who only care
> >about spam when it concerns their own citizens.
> >

> There is a guy in New Zealand that pays teenagers world wide to send
> spam so until it's global we ain't got much chance.

I still say the folks who are paying the spammers should be the target.
If they stop paying the spammers, there'll be no more spam.

David A. Bandel
                Nemesis Racing Team motto
GPG key autoresponder:  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]