On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:16:59 +1000
James McDonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I understand that nothing can be done if you saturate the pipe. But
> wouldn't stateful inspection and some rules to say `when x number of
> connections occur from y host in z time' cause the firewall to drop the
> attacking hosts packet and at least try for partial service over none?

It's a DDoS attack. Distributed. From an anti-spam list...

        This kind of "spread the targets" tactic has been tried in the
        past to protect IRC servers/websites and admins, but fails dramatically
        in the face of 20-50,000 cable-connected zombies being used for DDoS -
        they can spread the targetting around or simply bring another 10,000
        machines into the attack.

        Yes, they really do have botnets this large. :-(

Soon everyone except the script kiddies will hate Microsoft.