On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 15:20:57 -0400
Harry Giles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun September 28 2003 03:00 pm, Net Llama! wrote:
> > On Sun, 28 Sep 2003, Harry Giles wrote:
> > > Will this work?
> > >
> > > LInux box, using a standard wired NIC plugs in to the W.A.P. and
> > > the Windows boxes on the network use the wireless cards.
> > > The cable modem goes into the router, then plugged into the W.A.P.
> > >
> > > The W.A.P. shouldn't care about the wired box being Linux, should
> > > it?

Nope.  The linux box could be wired or wireless -- the AP won't care
(OK, if you did something silly like loaded Karlnet crap it might --
Karlnet support for Linux isn't quite there yet, stick to 802.11x).

> > I assume WAP = wireless acceess point?  If so, why would you want
> > the WAP to be central point of contact?  Wouldn't it make alot more
> > sense to have the cable modem plug into the router, and then have
> > everything else plug into the router (including the WAP)?
>
> The router (a Netgear unit) has two connections:  one for the modem,
> and one to the network.  From what I understand, the (yes, you guessed
> right) W.A.P. 's also act as a hub, thus the central point.

An AP is not a router, it's a bridge or hub depending on how it's used.
I have several APs (mostly Orinoco/Proxim) working in different
configurations.  Most don't have anything connected to their ethernet
port.  Several use WDS (Wireless Distribution System) to backbone
traffic down to the Internet connected AP.  One old Orinoco 500 in my
house sits up on top of a bookshelf and bridges all the systems in the
house (mostly laptops) to the system I have connected w/ a USB client to
the Internet via ADSL modem.  Just pretend your AP is a hub with
invisible connections to the wireless cards.  Most wireless cards
(PCMCIA) even show up as eth#, but the USB client shows up as wlan#.  No
big deal.

> Forgive me for not understanding all of this stuff, but I havn't done
> much networking in my life.

I've got a couple of 25 mile wireless links as well a couple of wired
links (ethernet), frame-relay, and ATM.  The hardware just works
(mostly).  And as long as you have a Linux driver for the hardware
that's not stand-alone, no big deal for the most part, just run ifconfig
and route.

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
                Nemesis Racing Team motto
GPG key autoresponder:  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]