If you can't ping machines on your intranet I would think you have a local
network configuration problem.  Are you trying to ping by IP or name? If
you can't ping the ip's, it would suggest your wife is on a different
subnet. If you can ping ip's but can't ping names, you might try just
adding the name and ip of your print server to /etc/hosts to see if that
fixes the pinging. Do you have a dhcpcd server on your intranet, etc.
How does your wife connect to the internet?
Joel