On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 13:29:21 +0800
Chong Yu Meng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Ever since I posted a message to the Smallville newsgroup (yes, I
> watch that stuff. If you didn't grow up watching Christopher Reeve as
> Superman and Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman, well, you wouldn't
> understand), I've been getting a lot of spam mail. As I am on a Linux
> machine, the attachment (Content type is audio/x-midi;
> name="henn.exe", but the filename varies, though the EXE extension
> does not) does nothing. However, it displays an intriguing little grey
> square in the email message.
>
> The message body typically says that a message was undeliverable. The
> originating and terminating addresses are bogus. I have 2 questions:
>
> 1. How do I track down the origin of the mail ? I'm just curious as to
>
> what other people do when they want to track down these mails.

Just look at the full header.  It shows the originating IP right at the
top.

> 2. Does anybody know what the attachment does? Some links to computing
>
> resources would help, though I find some of the sites so verbose as to
>
> be next to useless. Anything for the lay person?

Probably either a virus or XXX-spam.  Of course, you have to be stupid
enough to run Windoze and Outhouse or Outhouse Distress so the file runs
automagcally.  Either way it will infect your system with a virus or a
non-removable link that will open a porn site and probably send this
virus to all your friends so they can see how dumb you are.

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
                Nemesis Racing Team motto
GPG key autoresponder:  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]