On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 11:37:13 -0600 Rick Sivernell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   I am having a problem with su - root or to any user being access denied. I
>   have
> both root and user, me in wheel. I have recently update gentoo. I did lose my
> passwd and login for user and passwd for root. Able to login to root with no
> passwd required. Rebuilt /home/<user> with superadduser. Am I missing
> something here?

The only way that I am aware of that you could lose ability to login is via the
update config files (etc-update) process.  Some updates will offer to update
password and shadow.  You should never do this; always purge these update
offerings (fstab is another that is a no no).

<rant>
I've never considered it a good idea to offer updates for these files, but thus
far gentoo has never come up with a replacement philosophy.
</rant>

 A good procedure to follow is to backup /etc before doing etc-update.

That being said, are there any meaningful messages in /var/log/messages?

If you can login as root with no password, you should be able to issue 'passwd'
to set a new root password.  Maybe this will fix the problem?

Another possibility is that there is a problem with some of the files in
/etc/pam.d/ - were any of these replaced recently?

check /etc/password and /etc/group to verify that the root user is really in
group wheel.

HTH.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the