On Tuesday 11 November 2003 5:14 pm, someone claiming to be Collins Richey
wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:17:37 -0600 Michael Hipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Red Hat finally put up a fairly well done side-by-side comparison
> > between RH Enterprise Linux, Fedora and the now discontinued RH Linux.
> >
> > http://www.redhat.com/software/rhelorfedora/
>
> I put up a copy a few days ago and ran it for a few days using the default
> Gnome and Evolution.  It's not a bad distro.  Easy to install, but a few
> fatal flaws. It failed to detect my NIC as a Tulip card (picked some off
> the wall choice), but it did select the appropriate OSS module form my
> soundcard, and the printer was setup automatically.
>
> Also, you get no choice about maintaining your own bootloader!  I had to
> let fedora install its own version of grub (fancy screen format and all)
> then remerge the grub.conf entries after rebooting.
>
> Uses apm (instead of the newer acpi, and surprisingly enough it works.
>
> I made the mistake of signing up (for a day or two) for the fedora email
> list. Lots of good info, but 400 posts a day!
>
> Bleeding edge?  No way!  There's nary a 2.6 kernel in sight.

Just working out the kinks in a RHL8.0->Fedora Core 1 upgrade. Went fairly
smoothly. I uninstalled a bunch of homemade RPMs first and had some minor
issues with remnants of KDE3.1.4 from the kde-redhat install. Mostly a good
experience though.

Had a minor problem upgrading OOo under my user (the three other users were
fine) and had to rm -rf ~/.openoffice to get it to work. (found that out with
a quick chat on #fedora).

Lost my printer driver on the upgrade of cups and had to re-install that today
(after complaints from the wife that she couldn't print something today).

But, all in all, a good upgrade install.

Regards,
 Tim

--
Fedora Core 1, Kernel 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl,  KDE 3.1.4, Xfree86 4.3.0
 19:45:00  up 2 days,  2:12,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.05, 0.03