Net Llama! wrote:

Well, then i must just be lucky, because I didn't need to go through any
of that ordeal.  All I had to do was upgrade to the last glibc release
(late yesterday) and the problems created by the former (from early
yesterday) were solved.  Granted, I'm using my own 2.4.22-xfs kernel, and
not Redhat's, so perhaps that is why i'm not as plagued by this fiasco as
others.

I have my self rolled 2.4.22 kernel too with some mutimedia patches (low latency etc).
I guess, in my case it might have been an i368 vs. i686 issue: glibc rpm is one of the rare packages supplied in architecture specific versions, and I fear, apt-get (which otherwise I highly praise) didn't handle this correctly and "upgraded" ...i686 to ... i383. I can't reproduce this now, but I will keep an eye on apt-get in this respect.
Klaus