FYI.

>From time to time we have threads about the use of various filesystems (usually
degrades rapidly to "my fs is better than your fs").

I just happened to be reviewing the current Gentoo Handbook - a work in
progress, and I noted the following recommendation for XFS (a favorite of many
on this list).

4.i. Creating Filesystems

... [ other fs descriptions]

"XFS is a filesystem with metadata journaling that is fully supported
under Gentoo Linux's xfs-sources kernel. It comes with a robust feature-set and
is optimized for scalability. We only recommend using this filesystem on Linux
systems with high-end SCSI and/or fibre channel storage and a uninterruptible
power supply. Because XFS aggressively caches in-transit data in RAM, improperly
designed programs (those that don't take proper precautions when writing files
to disk and there are quite a few of them) can lose a good deal of data if the
system goes down unexpectedly."

... [ other fs desciptions ]

It is interesting that this recommendation is only present for XFS among the
journaled filesystem choices.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the