On Sunday 08 July 2001 09:06, Tony Alfrey wrote:
> OK, so far we've got the following:

[snip]

Everything that's happening in the COL side is done by the command line (or
psuedo, via kppp)

SuSe relies on ~/ip-up to (probably) setup default routes, set ifconfig,
whatever.

*IN GENERAL* ip-up is the exclusive domain of dialling INTO your box, even
though it is called by in or out triggers. *in general* it is safe for you to
cripple the entire thing.

(In my case, for a home setup I have a single line in there to call one of
the atomic clock servers to resync my local time, each time I dial up)

Since you say everything else is identical between distros, I'd cripple
ip-up. It *is* having an effect, it is probably negative. It will do no harm
to you dialled connection because it (ip-up) is called *after* the connection
has been established.