As soon as you get back to the login, go to a console, login as you and calle
.xsession-errors
this tells you what it is that is a t fault.

Mark Heinrich wrote:

> I recently compiled XFree 4.1 on my eD2.4 system.  During startup I get to
> the login screen (gui) but after logging in it tries to start kde the
> screen goes black for a second and then it drops me back at the login
> screen.  Where can I start looking for any hints for what's going on?  TIA
>
> Mark

Keith Antoine aka "Skippy"
18 Arkana St, The Gap, Queensland, 4061, Australia PH: 61 7 33002161
Certified Professional Geriatric, Sometime Electronics Engineer, Knowall!!
Insensible phone computer assistance a speciality.