Well I've got rid of all the problems other than the MTRR issue, which
doesn't so far seem to be causing any real problem with my machine, but
we'll see over time.

I noticed today after playing with some settings that the display was
behaving OK, the only difference was that SuSE was no longer displaying
it's fancy graphical console (don't ask me what I did to disable it, I
wasn't aware I had).

So I went ahead and increased the memory back up to 16Mb so that I could
play with 3D.

As soon as I did this, X complained that DRI was being disabled as it
couldn't grab the interrupt for the 810 graphics card as it was being used
by something else.

Checking my BIOS PCI settings showed that indeed the sound card was sharing
the interrupt.

Moving the sound card to another PCI slot cleared the interrupt for the
i810's dedicated use, and away went that problem.

So now I have the i810 working OK with X4.1, antialiasing.

The only remaining "problem" I have is the MTRR message, and I still have
to see if that's more of a warning than an error.

There are some emails on the Xpert mailing list at XFree86.org that
indicate problems with using FrameBuffers at the same time as X on the i810
(basically they don't want to share the memory space). Perhaps the fancy
graphical console that SuSE put up is using the framebuffer? This would
explain why the screen cleared up after I somehow disabled this graphical
console?!

If that is the problem, then it's not a problem with every card, as my
RADEON All-In-Wonder at home works fine, and I still have the graphical
console enabled on it. Perhaps the issue is only with the i810 and
FrameBuffers.

Gordon