As much as I'd love to blame this on KDE, i think you caused this mess.
You can't copy .kde2 to .kde.  The configuration file layout changed in
a huge way.  So basically what is occuring is that KDE2 is looking for
the appropriate config file to write the changes you are making, isn't
finding it, and is unable to write them to disk.  So, you logout, and
log back in and you're back to ground zero.

Soooo..this begs the question on why you copied .kde2 to .kde ?

=====