1) There is not a 1:1 relationship between open relays and spam

2) Most open relays will never have any spam touch them

3) Systems such as "ORBL" punish mostly non-spammers, and are abusive
   about the way they go about their probing and listing.  They don't
   make a decent effort to inform server owners of an impending
   blacklist entry, and if they follow in the footsteps of their
   predecessor (ORBS) they would actually act as a spam PROMOTER
   because they would PUBLISH lists of spam-relays which makes it
   even more trivial for spammers to abuse those hosts.  (ORBL's
   predecessor ORBS, in large part due to such obnoxious tactics,
   has been hounded off the net twice now)

4) Huge amounts of non-spam email are blocked or lost as a result
   of systems such as ORBL's.  As you can see already, perfectly
   legitimate email from list users has already been blocked on
   this list.

5) If your intent is to address the spam problem, I suggest using
   one of the MAPS/RBL lists (or something more sophisticated),
   not the ORBL one.  MAPS at least tries to make a good-faith
   effort to contact mail admins before blackholing their SMTP
   servers.

6) I don't know the current status, but I don't see any reason to
   allow posting to the list by non-members.

On 28 Jul 2001, at 20:38, Douglas J. Hunley boldly uttered:

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium