On Monday 30 July 2001 20:27, Linuxism Chang wrote:
> I downloaded the 2.4.7 kernel, rpm -e all 2.4.2 stuffs, make
> menuconfig, make mrproper, make dep... ding.. got the attached error:

usr/include/bits/local_lim.h:36: linux/limits.h: No such file or directory

Ayup. David B will hit this one unless I get in quick <grin>. Long
explanation, so you dont' get caught again.

At kernel 2.4.x Linus's "suggestion" that the linux kernel headers are
properly divorced from the gcc kernel headers, was taken up by most distros.
This is because, the gcc compiler _must_ be related to the kernel it, the
compiler, was compiled against. The headers wanted above have *nothing* to do
with the kernel and everything to do with how >your< installation of the gcc
compiler sees the world. As in not much use asking gcc to grow_bananas() if
it doesn't have a header to find out what bananas() are.

previously, we were all used to the following conveniece

/usr/src/linux->

pointed to your latest 'n greatest

/lib/include/linux->

pointed to?

/usr/src/linux

This was not, and never was, 'correct', just a convenience.

You will find that eW31. has (or had) a hard directory /lib/include/linux

whereas the COL series only had the symlink mentioned above.

Quick fix?

ln -s /usr/src/linux /lib/include/linux

Better fix?

re-install the -devel rpms you took out. I am not sure _why_ Caldera would
class _these_ headers as kernel headers (they aren't).