Part of the mystery solved. Brought /home/user/scywebMT.dll' up in Vim.
The thing is a Harris interactive survey concerning net shopping. I had
taken the poll weeks ago answered the questions, exited the site and
deleted the original e-mail. Done it a dozen times before. But, for some
reason, somehow, the thing ended up in my home user directory. It is a
Win file, but I don't have Wine or any of the other Win compatible
packages installed.

Anyhoo, selected edit under vim and then cut. The text disappeared, then
saved and exited, but the file is still there still defying all efforts
to delete it.

Lee