Thanks for the reply - a little more information.  I use kppp.  Both accounts are
dynamically
assigned dial-up accounts.  This particular machine is a workstation and is connected
via modem
to the ISP w/o an intermediary device.  I even rebooted the machine and came back to
the same
"locked" up IP address for the one account, but a perfectly fine random address for
the other
(logs available on request).  The wierdness I describe occurs sporadically, once or
twice a
week, usually after business hours, often on the weekend.  The only never failing
similarity are
the IP addresses I quoted.  Is there anything magical about either of the addresses?

Aug  6 20:47:27 costello pppd[7924]: local  IP address 216.47.27.128
Aug  6 20:47:27 costello pppd[7924]: remote IP address 216.47.25.5

I live in a small town and I'm a little paranoid that local good old boys at the telco
are
looking over people's shoulders to get a jump on the gossip circuit.  This problem has
just been
too regular and the "locked up" addresses too perfectly consistant for too long to
ignore any
longer.  Thanks again for responding.

- Rich Thompson