Today Mike Andrew was heard saying:

->On Thursday 09 August 2001 11:07, Jim Conner wrote:
->> If you need help with the Sony cd burner, I have a Yahama IDE
->> burner working great in eD2.4, and I'd be glad to help.  I do know that the
->> SxS on CD Burners is very good.  Good luck.
->
->Not directed at Jim directly but,,,,,
->
->I am not at all happy with the SxS stating you *must* use the append line.
->
->This is NOT true of kernel 2.4.x and I don't believe the kernels are that
->different.
->
->could someone on a 2.2.x kernel (COL 2.4 eg / RH 6.x eg) PLEASE load up
->ide-scsi as a normal module and test it out by removing that damn append
->statement? I simply cannot believe such a brute force approach is required.
->

*** The burner is not recognized as such when I try to load ide-scsi as a
module. The only way for my RH6.x install to see the burner is to use it
in an append statement. Furthermore, RH 7.1 as well as Mandrake 8 as well
as (I think) SuSE 7.2 recognize the IDE burner automatically and add an
append statement...

Zoran.