I have recompiled the kernel with msdos in it both as a module and as part of
the kernel, I recompiled 3 times today.

When I try to mount :: mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 /carddisk I get ::
mount: fs type msdos not supported by kernel

But as you can see it is selected

# File systems
#
# CONFIG_QUOTA is not set
# CONFIG_AUTOFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_AUTOFS4_FS is not set
CONFIG_REISERFS_FS=y
# CONFIG_REISERFS_CHECK is not set
# CONFIG_ADFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_AFFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_HFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_BFS_FS is not set
CONFIG_FAT_FS=y
CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=y
CONFIG_UMSDOS_FS=y
CONFIG_VFAT_FS=y

When I compile and finish with mkinitrd.sh; I get a peculiar ending I have
not seen before::

[root@bigpond /boot]# /usr/libexec/modules/mkinitrd.sh 2.4.7
/lib/modules/2.4.7/kernel/drivers/block/loop.o: init_module: Input/output
error
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
invalid IO or IRQ parameters
/lib/modules/2.4.7/kernel/drivers/block/loop.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.7/kernel/drivers/block/loop.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.7/kernel/drivers/block/loop.o: insmod loop failed
Warning: no loop module ! Trying to use /dev/ram2
mount: /dev/ram2 has wrong major or minor number
umount: /tmp/mnt14594: not mounted
rmdir: /tmp/mnt14594: Directory not empty

I do have loopback selected and I have done it as part of kernel and as
module.

SOUND: it plays in root but not as user; yes a permissions problem as David
said.

Permissions::crw-------   1 kantoine root      14,   3 Apr 28 05:38 /dev/dsp
I have set them as root to 666 and also kantoine.user only on reboot to loose
them ??? But I do not get sound hwhen I change from root to user. Got me beat
and I also print as root but not user, never had an install with the beta
(sybil) that I had these problem arise.

Just on the verge of doing a complete reinstall, but thought that i would ask
first. Mind you I always get problem no-one else has.
To make yourself look truthful one has to lie, as most people
do not want to kmow the truth; but only that which they believe.