We recently heard Collins Richey emote:
> Others have reported errors, too.
>
> 1). When I tried it, I got errors in compiling the NFS code.  I'm using a
> config file from near the dawn of time, and of course I've been compiling
> NFS all along, even though I don't use it.  Success without NFS.

So, "make oldconfig" doesn't update your config file with new config
options? Bummer.

> 2). Well, almost success.  All prior kernels have compile with the
> appropriate march=i586 for my machine K6/II), but this beast picked
> march=I686 all on it's own, and of course the kernel won't boot on my
> machine.  I don't know whether this is a glitch, or by design.  I guess
> I'll have to sift through the archives to find how to set march properly,
> unless some kind soul would like to post the commands.  Something like
> 'export CFLAGS=????', but I forget.

Th K6 wants, um, -march=k6 and/or -mcpu=k6, so you could try

# export CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -march=k6 -mcpu=k6"

But you'd be better off specifying the CPU type using the kernel's
configuration language.

Kurt
--
design, v.: