On Friday 31 August 2001 21:47, Collins Richey wrote:

> Well, the developer returned my mail.  Difficult to understand, but
> the problem with all my icons for Wide and the splash screen for xfce
> is:  running X in color depth 16.  Now I've switched to color depth 24
> (Netscape will probably croak), and everything is much better.

ooh, that's interesting. 24bit X is / was a total no-no for some time (as you
probably knew) 24bit if implemented at all by the card - driver - author was
almost always a kludge back to 16 bit.

Is this generally speaking no longer true with Xfree 4++ ? I haven't bothered
checking, preferring 32 bit which states explicitly it cannot / can be
supported rather than silently kludged.

This is a grey area for me and I'm not sure why your develeper would choose
_that_ format, and why it makes any difference at all.