Shane Broomhall wrote:
> Hi All,

[snip]
> Does Anyone know if my USB ZIP CDR Drive can be used under
> Mandrake to burn
> CD's from Linux ?
>
> Does anyone know if the use of USB Hubs is supported under
> Linux, and again
> in particular Mandrake Linux ?

USB support has improved drastically with the 2.4.x series of kernels.  As
far as the individual hardware units, I suggest looking at the Hardware
Compatability List and/or check out the Mandrake web site.  Also the
hardware manufactures websites to see if they have released drivers
themselves.

> It is my understanding that Mandrake is based on Red Hat, but put more
> untested versions of software into their Dist.  Is it
> possible to therefore
> install Mandrake, I have a copy of Version 8, and then use
> Red Hat RPM to
> add to the Mandrake Dist and have it work.

Actually it is Red Hat that puts more of the "untested" type of stuff in
there.  Mandrake tends to stay a little back from the bleeding edge.

You should be able to use Red Hat RPM's with Mandrake.  Although it does
depend sometimes.  I've used RPM's from the Caldera eDesktop 2.4 cd with my
new RH7.1 without nary a ill affect.

> Just how much difference is there between Red hat and
> Mandrake when you are
> under the hood ???

I can't say for sure but I would say not much.  I could be wrong as I've
never really messed with Mandrake.  I had it installed once but didn't mess
with it much before I overwrote it.

Good luck,

--Tom Wilson