On Thu, 13 Sep 2001 22:06:42 -0400
Joel Hammer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 09:53:05PM -0400, dep wrote:
| > On Thursday 13 September 2001 21:42, Joel Hammer wrote:
| >
| > | Those who cry out for no restraints on personal freedom may find
| > | one day their personal choices reduced to burning to death or
| > | jumping 80 stories. Joel
| >
| > those who cry out for no restraints on personal freedoms will happily
| > point out to you that, as has been the case on the lirr and elsewhere
| > in the past, one good man with a gun would have solved the problem
| > with considerably less loss of life.
| > --
| I agree. Why they don't arm the pilots is beyond me.

There was a limited program with air marshals, which entailed having
an armed marshal on the plane. An estimate I heard was that if this was to
be implemented fully, it would require 40000 jobs in the US alone.
That is do-able. However, how does it work to shoot in an airplane?
And, what if the air marshal is overwhelmed by a group of passengers
wanting control? You have provided them with a weapon. Who would control the
marshals on planes from other countries?

So, it is an idea that has been considered. But the logistics are quite
something. Maybe this will result in some more work on the problem.

One thing I have always disliked about the AirBus is that the pilot does
not really control the plane. He just makes suggestions to the on-board
computer, which really flies the plane. In such a plane, if the plane
is determined to be hijacked, maybe the plane could be told where to
land from ground control, disabling all control from inside the plane.
I suspect that these computers do not do the final landing, but I don't
know that. Sort of like the taxis in Robert Heinlen's 'Stranger in a
Strange Land'.