burns wrote:

> On September 30, 2001 11:04 pm, Ian Marchak wrote:
>

> > I figured as much, I just wondered about the ability to disable them.
> > Suggested by Jerry, no drivers no IRQ, were you able to disable the
> > built-ins in the BIOS or how?
> >
> The board I'm using is the model you inquired about... the ECS K7S5A. I
> disabled unwanted devices easily in the bios settings. I have the manual here
> in front of me if you have any questions. BTW, the  FSB runs at a choice of
> either 200MHz or 266MHZ.
>
> The only negative thing I've heard is that Athalons don't run at flat out
> optimum on early models of this board. There was a slight performance hit
> that, apparently, has been cured by the most recent bios upgrades/flashes.

I read something about this before...I was kinda hesitant until I saw
someone claiming it was fixed by BIOS v.whatever.

> > I've posed these questions to the vendor I am speaking with, and it's
> > not that I don't trust the guy, but it's nice to hear these things from
> > impartial 3rd parties.
>
> Be aware that Athalons run hot. And the Athalon Thunderbirds are reputed to
> run VERY hot. However, I have a great case
> (http://www.antec-inc.com/product/cases/sohoser.html). I chose the black
> model for sex appeal (I'm getting sick of beige). The key lockable front door
> hides the inevitable beige add-in components (CD, floppy, etc.). I added an
> additional 3 in. toe fan at the bottom. It came with dual 3 in. exhaust fans

Hmmm, interesting, I am looking at the SX840...I don't see myself
needing the space a full tower would give me...but great minds must
think alike.  I like the fact that adding fans on the front is a snap in
upgrade, if I need them.

> in the back. I also use a Thermal Take Copper Orb heatsink & fan
> (http://www.thermaltake.com/du0462-9.htm). As a result I never exceed 40C.

I actually was looking at this one, or a similar one by them (found it
through reviews), but when my vendor heard I wanted a 1.4 GHz, he
recommended a different one by Coolermaster, that supposedly "offers
slightly better cooling" (3-4 degrees, but it was only about 5 bucks
more).  I made sure that whatever it was, it had been approved by AMD.

> I departed from the norm (for me) and decided I was tired of faffing about
> with dual booting. I still need Windows/MS Office occaisionally when a
> contract specifies Excel or Word deliverables. So, I laid down some extra
> dosh on a couple of removable hard drive frames and cases. I have two 13Gb
> Quatum drives, so I can just switch the drives and reboot without making any
> changes in the bios.

I've know about these for some time now, but only just recently have I
been exposed to them at school.  I am in a UNIX admin course as part of
a certification, and we use these so each student can have his/her own
installs of Solaris (which I've not dealt with before) and (ugh) Redhat.

They definitely seem like a very attractive option, and not too
expensive either.  Do you have a server somewhere to leave files for
Linux when you are in WinX and vice versa?  Or can you have a HD that
stays in the machine all the time?

> BTW, I definitely re commend investing in DDRAM. With a 266MHz FSB, it's
> definitely worth it and prices are a bargain right now.

DDRAM from the get go.

Thanks for this, you just confirmed at least one person's good
experience with many of the bits and pieces that my machine will be made
of.  I saw you discussing your case and noise levels...I am surprised
though, I was blown away with how quiet these cases are. Antec power
supplies and fans were very quiet in my previous exposures to them.

Burns, thanks again, like I said, it's nice to hear it from a 3rd party.
--
Linux SxS [http://hal.humberc.on.ca/~mrcn0031/sxs/]