Previously, Susan Macchia chose to write:
> Bingo !  This was the problem!  Doh...when I removed /dev/sr1 and changed
> the minor number to 1, it worked fine!
>
> Thanks for everyone's help on this - an interesting learning experience.
> But I am still curious why I have to have both cdrom/rw emulating scsi.
> Why wouldn't my hard drives suffer the same problem?  Please forgive my
> sys-admin ignorance.

AFAIK, you don't need SCSI em for either, unless you want to use them with
the CD-burning software that's available under linux. For whatever reason,
all the CD-burning software I've run accross requires that the burners be
SCSI. The CD-ROM, if you want to burn on the fly, needs to be SCSI, too, or
the software won't see it.

Your hard drives don't suffer the same problem because, well, because they
don't, that's why... or maybe it's because the OS is what needs to talk to
your hard drives. The OS understands IDE, so SCSI-em is not required.
(Although, if you're masochistic enough, you could probly convince the OS to
use SCSI-em to talk to your HDDs...)

Regards,
Tim