On Thursday 25 October 2001 09:13 pm, you sent an epistle:
> Bingo !  This was the problem!  Doh...when I removed /dev/sr1 and changed
> the minor number to 1, it worked fine!
>
> Thanks for everyone's help on this - an interesting learning experience.
> But I am still curious why I have to have both cdrom/rw emulating scsi.
> Why wouldn't my hard drives suffer the same problem?  Please forgive my
> sys-admin ignorance.

Its to do with the fact that the cdroms are in fact ATAPI-scsi devices, the
cdrw software was originally written by Adaptec and the scsi emulation is
streaming and therefore has to be cleaner.

To those who have been in harms way, to those that have made the
sacrifice in humanities name. At the going down of the sun and
in the morning I shall remember them.