I have a Yamaha 4416ez(IDE) that I bought 10/99.  It's 2 years old and
probably burnt 200+ cdr(w)s.  There have been some coasters, but most were my
fault.  I haven't got a coaster in linux that wasn't my fault.  The only
reason I'd upgrade is for speed.  I'd buy another Yamaha.  If you are leary
of Yamaha, go with Plextor.  They are the best.

Jim