When as root you typed ssh(d) you started the daemon(check as root ps ax)
when as a user you attempted it, it tried to authenticate with out having
the daemon running or without you making your keys as of yet...

The SxS was simple enough for myself to follow the intructions creating the
keys installing from tarball etc...

Like you I only ftp'd, telneted.. never even rlogin'd   8^)

Hope this answers your question. other than doing it for you   8^)

On Tuesday 20 November 2001 18:51, you were heard blurting out:

--
  Bill Day ( a.k.a. BadMan )            188133 http://counter.li.org
  irc.openprojects.net                  #linux-users ( Open 24/7 )

                 http://www.daysdomain.com/tribute.html

  7:30pm  up 111 days, 10:01, 22 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00