Hello to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

There are some (Non-Linux) issues with the board when running an High-speed
Athlon (not XP) with SDRAM, look at OC workbench for more details:
http://forum.ocworkbench.com/

I have some comments below:

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001 19:10:55 +0100 "Mike Andrew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
regarding Re: ECS Motherboards (again):

MA> > Thank you all for your replies.  But can I ask again, are there any
issues
MA> using
MA> > this (and the sis chipset) with Linux?
MA>
MA> I have a severe and potentially unwarranted distaste for SiS anything.
The
MA> chipsets they develop are the cheepest and nastiest things I've
encountered.

That's right, they're cheap, but that doesn't mean it's bad.  SiS does have
a bad reputation, but the this chipset gets great reviews on serious sites like
Tom's Hardwareguide!

I've ordered my k7s5a today, to prevent my high-priced Asus A7V133 crap motherboard
from toasting and damaging my system.
The ECS K7s5a is less than 50% of the price of my Asus (less than 60% of the
newer Asus').  Except for a problem with some boards, they're rock solid!

MA> *In general* if you dont or can't obtain a specially developed sis
driver
MA> for whatever-it-is, then it is totally and completely incompatible
with any
MA> of the industry standards for that product making it unusuable with
MA> 'standard' drivers.
MA>
MA> One of the classic examples from this company from hell is their
laughable
MA> 'vga''chipsets. It would be accepted by most that the 1st 16 'modes'
of vga
MA> are 'industry standard'. Meaning that they are the modes as defined by
IBM
MA> on the original product and garanteed to work on *any* pc. Until that
is,
MA> this awful SiScrap hit the deck where they decided to save 2 cents and
MA> simply not have them. Makes booting with a Sis vga card an excercise
in
MA> futility.
MA>
MA> Other undocumented features from this shitset are stealing real memory
from
MA> the top of your real memory because again, they don't like the thought
of
MA> paying 0.0002 cents for the drill holes in their pcb's to accomodate
on
MA> board memory. Thus, although SiSshit claims to be 5ns compatible: try
it
MA> some time.

Well, my Asus mutch worse, it doesn't implement C1 or C2 power savings, leaving
my processor running at 58°C, the RAID functions are buggy at least (I don't
use them), systems with this board crash often, even with Linux.
Updating the BIOS caused me having to reenter the system speed and multipliers
every boot-up.

Sis can't screw up worse than that, and given the price of the board...
I'm 'throwing' my Asus away under warranty (the reseller doesn't do a thing
about it).  The board cost me 191 EURO, while the ECS 57s5a only costs 84 EURO
now.  If it's no good, I get my money back within the first week.  It's worth
the try...

BTW, I also have an ECS K7VZA running, that's a great board!