Dave Anselmi babbled on about:
> The book says your zone file is broke (bet you knew that).  You've given a
> name a CNAME record (made an alias), and also other records which is
> illegal since the NS will follow the CNAME record to the cannonical name.
> Other records for the alias aren't accessible.  Here's the example:
>
> terminator2    IN    CNAME    t2
> terminator2    IN    MX       10 t2
> t2             IN    A        192.249.249.10
> t2             IN    MX       10 t2
>
> So if you ask for the MX for terminator2, the NS will follow the CNAME
> record and give you the MX for t2.  There's no way to get to the
> terminator2 MX, so it complains.  Probably you can just remove any other
> records for entries that have a CNAME.

that makes sense. I followed a thread on the bind list and found a discussion
about this very thing... unfortunately, it's the dns at work... so the
records are nasty, it's not really my job, and I've kinda been roped into
it... sorta... on the plus side, if I get it to work, they are gonna dump the
bind 4.x they are currently using, and not go ahead with cisco registrar like
they want (they'll use my bind9)
thanks for the offer (you to kwall). I *think* I got it figured out myself
(as usually happens right after I post). but, you'll hear from me if I'm
wrong.. ;)
--
Douglas J Hunley (doug at hunley.homeip.net) - Linux User #174778
Admin: http://linux.nf  Admin: http://hunley.homeip.net

die_if_kernel("Kernel gets FloatingPenguinUnit disabled trap", regs);
        2.2.16 /usr/src/linux/arch/sparc/kernel/traps.c