,--------------- Forwarded message (begin)

 Subject: Re: What exactly is up with this?
 From: Leo Saguisag <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 15:12:30 -0800

 On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 14:39:51 -0800, David Aikema
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 >Thus far any attempts to play with Kylix have caused me nothing but
 >problems.... when running Mandrake 8.1 the past couple months Kylix
worked
 >the first time I loaded it (I may have upgraded kde and probably also qt
 >since then so that might be the cause).... but ever since then it kept
 >prompting me to authorize it (I already had).

 You can try going into your $HOME/.borland directory and deleting the
 file registry.bin to flush out your registration information.

 >I tried entering the authorization key a
 >second time but that didn't do anything to alleviate my problems (I got a
 >'thanks for authorizing' and then the program never got beyond its splash
 >screen).  I tried wiping out my .kylix directory just in case any of the
 >configuration files in there had gotten wrecked but that didn't really
have
 >any positive effects (it would then hang on 'generating font matrix'... I
 >left it in that state for at least an hour).

 Just close that dialog and try re-starting the IDE.  This works.  Bear
 in mind though that Mandrake 8.1 is running version 2.4 of the kernel,
 which has been known to cause problems with Kylix 1.  Kylix 2 was
 certified on RedHat 7.1, Mandrake 8.0 and SuSE 7.2 so you'd have a
 much better chance of getting it working on Mandrake 8.1 if you used
 Kylix 2 instead.  Open Edition is a free download as always.

 >Now, I recently installed Suse... and grabbed the Kylix OE off the
install
 >cds, thinking as this was packaged for the distribution it shouldn't
cause me
 >any problems (and any dependencies it might require would be handled)...
but
 >once again I was wrong.
 >
 >Now all I'm getting errors about not being able to find the configuration
 >files when launching the start script (how am I supposed to create them
other
 >than to run the startup script?)

 Unfortunately, when SuSE repackaged Kylix 1 OE to put on the SuSE 7.3
 CDs, they missed a few critical files.  Borland has made a patch for
 this.  Go to http://www.borland.com/devsupport/kylix/downloads/ and
 click on the link "Missing Configuration file for SuSE 7.3"

 These files are normally generated at install time by the Kylix
 installation scripts.  Hence all the warnings on the documentation
 about *not* installing Kylix manually via RPM.

 However, again, since K1 was never certified on kernel 2.4, you would
 be much better off installing the Kylix 2 Open Edition.  You can
 download it at http://www.borland.com/kylix/tryitnow.html

 >and also getting errors with a bunch of
 >libs.
 >I added /opt/kylix/bin to /etc/ld.so.conf and ran ldconfig (don't ask me
 >why
 >they have the libraries in bin instead of in lib...).

 Highly not advised because Borland distributes a customized libqt.so
 which might interfere with other applications dependent on QT such as
 KDE.

 >Now, when I try to launch Kylix directly I get the following error:
 >
 >david:/opt/kylix/bin # ./Kylix
 >./Kylix: error while loading shared libraries: bpldesignhooks.so.6:
cannot
 >open
 >shared object file: No such file or directory
 >david:/opt/kylix/bin # ll bpldesignhooks.so.6
 >lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           36 Dec 21 08:39
bpldesignhooks.so.6
 >-> /opt/kylix/bin/bpldesignhooks.so.6.0
 >david:/opt/kylix/bin # ll bpldesignhooks.so.6.0
 >-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         8468 Jul 23 11:22
 >bpldesignhooks.so.6.0
 >
 >Anyone have any suggestions?  I've read the preinstall, readme, install
 >help
 >files and none of them have really offered any help.

 You should always use the 'startkylix' script to launch Kylix.  From
 the Kylix 1 README, under the section "RUNNING KYLIX" :

 Always start the IDE by running the
 startkylix script rather than running the kylix executable
 directly. (Both script and executable are located in the bin
 subdirectory under the Kylix installation directory.) The
 startkylix script sets up certain environment variables used
 by Kylix before starting the IDE.

 HTH.

`--------------- Forwarded message (end)