Yea, yea, i know, replying to myself is lame....

I did a bit more digging and it seems that the newer aic7xxx driver is
not all that its cracked up to be.  Some recent traffic on a Debian
devel NG reported some rather poor results (data xfer rates etc) using
the newer aic7xxx, as compared to the older aic7xxx_old, plus the max
tag count does not appear to get throttled down with the older driver.
The thread is here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&threadm=15340.14898.405416.452033%40em2.my.own.domain&rnum=15&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D%2B%2522locking%2Bmax%2Btag%2Bcount%2Bat%2522%26hl%3Den%26start%3D10%26sa%3DN

=====