At a guess, (GUESS) your system doesn't know what protocol the cdr is
written, is trying to automount it and going through a few modules before
giving up the ghost

The usual failure mode for a cdr/cdrw is failure to read. I am always amazed
how many red faces this advice produces, but clean the $£"! disk - make sure
you can see no pawprint on it. Do not discount dodgy media as an option.
Start with a known iso9660 disk, and try to dd from it
[root@genius /root]# dd if=/dev/hdc of=smallfile bs=100 count=1
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
That's what I get. Smallfile, btw is 'unlessable' crap.
--
        Regards,

        Declan Moriarty

Applied Researches - Ireland's Foremost Electronic Hardware Genius

        A Slightly Serious(TM) Company

Experience is like a comb,
that Life gives you - AFTER all your hair has fallen out!