I had a webcam kicking around the house so I figured I might as well plug it
into the my linux box and test it out seeing as the windows box it normally
resides on is not operational at the moment.

I plugged in the cam (it's a D-Link DSB-C300... listed in the SxS as using
the ov511 dirver) and the required modules loaded themselves.

I also installed xawtv as the SxS suggested and gave it a shot.  I do get
some output from the camera get it is -incredibly- fuzzy and half the image
is flashing green (does that mean it's actually interlaced or something).

The output of v4l-conf:
----
v4l-conf: using X11 display :0.0
dga: version 2.0
mode: 1024x768, depth=16, bpp=16, bpl=2048, base=0xd0000000
/dev/video0 [v4l2]: ioctl VIDIOC_QUERYCAP: Invalid argument
/dev/video0 [v4l]: no overlay support
----

I see there's an invalid argument error listed there... does this error mean
that the program is incapable of getting the webcam's capabilities?  Is there
than any way that I can manually set things such as resolution?

I've looked through the SxS, and the man pages pages for v4l-conf and xawtv
but had no luck.

David Aikema