Well, I read the posts from Ray, Collins and Ted with interest while
I was downloading with a 56K modem - 3 or 4 days.  The CDs burned OK
and here are my obsevations.

INSTALLATION
My box has wintendo98 (disk 1), Mandrake 8.1 (disk 2), and Mandrake
Cooker (disk 4).  Disk 3 was ready for ELX, formatted reiserfs using
Acronis OSS Disk Manager.  The Mandrake disks are ext3.

Custom install was impossible.   The installer's kernel doesn't know
about ext3, so I told it to only mount disks 1 and 2, but it gave up
with the message: "I don't want to disturb my existing boot menu."

So I wiped disk 3 and started again using default install (ignoring
the ext3 partitions - I'd fix fstab after install).  All went OK,
except I was disconcerted by the welcome message "ELX WELCOME'S YOU"
- there should be no apostrophe here.

POST INSTALL
I have to boot using the floppy - with the hard disk I just get "LI".
I've run /sbin/lilo a couple of times - no error messages with -v
but still no good.

Important (for me) packages missing:
        locales         (installed --nodeps from Mandrake 8.1)
        kde-i18n-de     (installed OK from Mandrake 8.1)
        kde-i18n-en_GB  (installed OK from Mandrake 8.1)
        kde-i18n-fr     (installed OK from Mandrake 8.1)
        gkrellm         (installed OK from Mandrake 8.1)
        rsync           (installed OK from Mandrake 8.1)
        sudo            (installed OK from Mandrake 8.1)

Supermount works fine using /mnt/cdrom -> /dev/scd0 and /mnt/cdrw
-> /dev/scd1.
Here are my desktop files for them:

[Desktop Entry]
Comment=CD ROM
Exec=kfmclient openProfile cdrom
Icon=dvd_unmount
MountIcon=dvd_mount
Name=CD-ROM
Terminal=0
Type=Application

[Desktop Entry]
Name=CD-writer
Icon=cdrom_unmount
MountIcon=cdrom_mount
Type=Application
Terminal=0
Comment=CD-writer
Exec=kfmclient openProfile cdrw

I had to create the /usr/share/apps/konqueror/profiles/cdrw profile:
[Main Window Settings]
MenuBar=Enabled

[Main Window Settings Toolbar extraToolBar]
Hidden=true
IconSize=0
IconText=IconOnly
Index=0
NewLine=true
Offset=-1
Position=Top

[Main Window Settings Toolbar locationToolBar]
Hidden=flase
IconSize=0
IconText=IconOnly
Index=1
NewLine=true
Offset=-1
Position=Top

[Main Window Settings Toolbar mainToolBar]
Hidden=false
IconSize=0
IconText=IconOnly
Index=0
NewLine=false
Offset=-1
Position=Top

[Profile]
Height=480
Name=CD-writer
RootItem=View0
View0_LinkedView=false
View0_LockedLocation=false
View0_PassiveMode=false
View0_ServiceName=konq_multicolumnview
View0_ServiceType=inode/directory
View0_ToggleView=false
View0_URL=/mnt/cdrw
Width=640

I too have not got Webmin to start yet and I haven't been
able to check how kylix works - still lots more playing
around to do.

By the way, I don't think it's anything like Mandrake.
--
Peter Ruskin, Wrexham, Wales.
Registered Linux User No. 219434 ( see http://counter.li.org/ ).