I am confused at this thread.  Why are people strung so tight about it?  Let's stop
pissing on each other's opinions and be a little more rational.  Each distro has its
faults and each distro has their typos.  Come on!  Yes, Caldera has theirs as well.
But this is rediculous.  I can appreciate that we need to hold a high line on quality,
but I have noticed more issues than I care to disclose in big distros like Mandrake,
RH, Caldera, and SuSE caused by someone probably just not testing a particular portion
of the OS or not documenting very well.  Religiosity is not going to keep Linux
rolling in the world, and has quite the opposite effect in Business.  Devotion, love,
RTFM, etc....  They are all important.  Basis in fact and realizing that each distro
hasn't completely arrived yet is an important part of the role we must each play if we
want Linux to continue to gain momentum.  No, obviously I'm not going to broadcast any
and all issues I run into to the M$ geeks, but they!
 don't broadcast theirs to me either.  The fact is neither Windows nor Linux has
finished development yet and each have plenty of mistakes to fix while continuing to
"innovate".  But that's ok.  I support all the developers, testers, advocates, and
others who are sticking their back into making Linux/Unix better and more viable for
both server and desktop.
Yes, Desktop.  I still have high hopes for Linux on the Desktop, yea tho there are
those who would put a stop to it in order to focus on the server realm.  My highest
salutes go out to the KDE guys especially, but the OSS community in general.

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002 10:00:32 -0700
"Myles Green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Dec 2001 16:01:05 -0800
> Vern W Heesch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Sunday 30 December 2001 03:22 pm, you wrote:
> > > [ snips ]

> > > "You pays you money, you takes you chances."
> > >
> > > In my case, I paid absolutely zip and got an extremely well-crafted
> > > and functional product for the price of a few hours download and two
> > > burnt CDs.  I also got access to a professionally constructed web
> > > site with a well grounded plan to encourage Windows users to migrate
> > > to linux as well as an offer to help with that endeavor.  I got a
> > > desktop environment that will probably appeal to a lot of Windows
> > > refugees.  I got immediate response for my questions from the
> > > developers.  I got all-in-all fewer bugs than I ever did from
> > > Mandrake and Caldera and SuSE and gentoo distros I've used in the
> > > past.  And just for a bonus, I got one #@!& typo in a pre-release
> > > distro, and that fact has you anal types in an uproar.
> > >
> > > Now Ted has a slightly more rational complaint - ease of use for
> > > device allocation which is one of the not-so-user-friendly areas of
> > > a *nix system.  Every distro is going to handle this differently.
> > > Either you set permissions to permit anyone access to devices and
> > > deal with the security ramifications, or you set exclusive
> > > permissions and require use of root to alter those permissions as
> > > required.  I've had much grief on Caldera distros and others just
> > > getting pppd functions to work.  This is nothing new.
> > >
> > > Granted, no distro is going to recommend running as root other than
> > > briefly to accomplish brief tasks, nor does elx do that, but every
> > > new Linux user is going to need to learn how and how not to use the
> > > power of root.
> > >
> > > I don't have any serial devices, Ted, so I can't comiserate.  The
> > > elx distro has been easier for me to install, manipulate, and tailor
> > > than any I've used in the past.  I would not hesitate to recommend
> > > this one to a newbie.
> >
> > Us anal types? uncool, unnecessary.....and with that I'm done.
>
> Vern, i hope that's only with this thread... there is another
> solution.... it's called a killfile. i'm about to use it right now...
> collins --> PLONK
>
> have a nice day.
> --
> Myles Green Calgary AB Canada
> Alberta Linux Step by Step Mirror:
> http://www.telusplanet.net/public/mylesg/
> --
> There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
> We don't believe this to be a coincidence.  -- Jeremy S. Anderson

Matthew Carpenter
CNI, CNE, CCNA, MCP, J2CP, WP
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                          http://www.e-i-s.cc/

Enterprise Information Systems
*Network Consulting, Integration & Support
*Web Development and E-Business