From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On
Behalf Of Kurt Wall
Sent: Thursday, 10 January 2002 12:03 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Where is /etc/resolv.conf defined?

Scribbling feverishly on January 09, Joel Hammer managed to emit:
> I would like to know how my linux box knows that /etc/resolv.conf is
the
> place to look for dns servers. I have grepped through the linux
sources,
> but could not find any file with resolv.conf in it.

glibc -- particularly, the resolver library and the NSS (Name Service
Switch) facilities. Specifically, the file resolv/resolv.h defines
the macro _PATH_RESCONF:

#define _PATH_RESCONF   "/etc/resolv.conf"

> I grepped /etc and found a few files. One is /etc/lst.cnf, which has
> all the various files defined, like so:
>
> FILE_ETC_HOSTS=/etc/hosts
> FILE_ETC_RESOLV_CONF=/etc/resolv.conf
> FILE_ETC_NETWORKS=/etc/networks
> FILE_ETC_EXPORTS=/etc/exports
> FILE_ETC_GATEWAYS=/etc/gateways
> FILE_ETC_HOST_CONF=/etc/host.conf
> FILE_ETC_INETD_CONF=/etc/inetd.conf
> FILE_ETC_RC_INET1=$DIR_INIT_CONF/rc.inet1
> FILE_ETC_RC_INET2=$DIR_INIT_CONF/rc.inet2
>
> Is this file the basic source file that defines where all these basic
> files should be? Which programs actually use this file, lst.cnf?

No. lst.cnf is the configuration file that used to be used by
Caldera's lisa tool. It may still be used by some of Caldera's newer
configuration and installation tools, but I no longer track Caldera,
so I can't be certain.

Kurt
--
Be cautious in your daily affairs.