It looks like Bill's suggestion should work.  But, if you don't want to
be that fancy, and if you don't know perl, the following script should
do what you want:

#!/bin/bash
for i in `find *jpg -maxdepth 0 -type f`
do
newname=${i%%.jpg}'.640x480.jpg'
convert $i -geometry 640x480 $newname
done

Just cd into the directory where your jpg's are. When done, mv *640x480*
to a different directory.

If you want to prepend an "s", change the 4th line to :
newname='s'$i

Another approach, although manual, would be xv. Create a directory, say
smallpics, and move copies of all the jpg's into it. Then, xv *jpg. That
will load all the jpg's into the xv index. Then, calling them up with the
next button, the keystroke "<" will reduce them to 1/2 size. Then, three
mouse clicks will save them.  Not too bad.

Joel