Mike Andrew wrote:
> Bedtime -> ide cd burning (revised)

Says: "The above order of module loading will ensure that your zips and
tapes will remain as ide controlled devices, if that is want you want.
The reality is that both of these drivers are SCSI emulators and they in
fact use truncated code from ide-scsi to achieve an identical result.
Thus, you can cheerfully eliminate their need. ide-scsi will cover them
with the exact same /dev/names. I have included the above modprobe list
to orient you to what's happening, not, what you need to do.

The end result of all this is that by eliminating any reference to any
of the ide-xxx type drivers in your /etc/modules.conf (or wherever
device loading is instantiated /etc/rc.modules eg) and simply stating
ide-scsi, your problems are over for modular drivers."

But, the fact remains that if I do NOT load ide-floppy first and rely on
ide-scsi, ide-scsi does NOT cover them with *the exact same* /dev/names.
With ide-floppy loaded first, I access my Zip drive on /dev/hdc4,
without it, I have NO access to my Zip drive (ostensibly because I have
NOT compiled scsi disk support into my kernel (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD)).

At least it is that way using Caldera eW3.1 with kernel 2.4.9.

Other that that little nit, the document is very  well written and has
helped me understand the ide-scsi process a great deal.
Thanks!

Tim