On Sat, 2 Feb 2002 13:47, David A. Bandel wrote:

> > "The stunning success of the U.S. tech-powered boom in the 1990s drew
> > some 500,000 highly skilled H1-B visa holders from around the world and

> Yeah, the H1-B's worked cheap, while the highly skilled, highly paid US
> workers went unemployed.

Not this H1-B, I was highly skilled, and highly paid. America has a habit of
going to sleep for a decade then waking up to discover the outside world has
overtaken them (viz the HP / Motorola memory chip wakeup call, viz the
collapse of Fairchild) America also has the phenonemal ability to re-invent
itself. You were written off 15 years ago, It took a decade of imports, such
as myself, to give your industries the breathing space they needed with new
college Grads. The 'highly paid US workers' retrained during that time to
get, highly paid. No-one ever said to me, ozzie go home. I would have been
more than happy to.