On Mon, 04 Feb 2002 12:42:35 -0800
begin  "Robert L. Hemus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spewed forth:

> Ladies & Gentlemen,
> I'm back at the trough.  Appreciate any and all help.
>
> I was monkeying around with the /etc/fstab on hdb1 and buggered it up
> and need help.  Following The Llama's advice I had purchased Running
> Linux 3rd Ed. and am able to get at the file, but can't seem to get it
> right.  Here is a copy of the file I have on hdb3;
>       devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
>       /proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
>       /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 ro,user,noauto,exec 0 0
>       /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto defaults,user,noauto 0 0
>       /dev/hdb2 swap swap defaults 0 0
>       */dev/hdb3 / ext2 defaults 1 3
>       /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat ro 0 0
>       */dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 ext2 defaults 1 0
>
> Would exchanging the *'d lines make it work?  I thought I'd done that,
> but it didn't seem to work.  I saved it in emacs with C-x C-s.  The
> reason I think it is the fstab file is on bootup the <Checking file
> systems> Fail's and when it gets to <System loggers> it freezes.  By the
> way I have to start the hdb3 with a rescue floppy.  So/Or could the
> </bootgrub/menu.lst> be the buggered one?

If "Checking Filesystems" fails, then the filesystems won't mount.
Naturally, if the filesystems aren't mounted read-write (which they aren't
if the filesystem check failed), then syslog can't create its named pipe
or attach to the log files (because they aren't writable).

Once you've booted with the rescue disk, run fsck on the various file
systems (/dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdb3).  Then reboot.

Note: the filesystems should not be mounted (or if the root filesystem, it
should be mounted read-only -- yes, that's correct, read-only).

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
                -- Nemesis Racing Team motto
Internet (H323) phone: 206.28.187.30