When I d/l from the apache server running locally any file that it
doesn't recognize, it seems to be mangling it somehow, possibly doing an
ascii transfer of it or something like that.

I keep a directory of wallpaper pics around and shared it out over the
web server, but when I d/l a bitmap (which has the "?" icon where jpegs
for example have the multicolour icon indicating a graphic) it's fubared
when it gets there.  The jpegs in the same dir. d/l OK.

I've confirmed the files themselves are OK by snagging them via ftp
and/or checking them on the machine itself.

After my comments to the Llama, I hate to ask...

Have I missed something obvious?

Running RH 7.2 w/ the default apache installed.
--
Linux SxS [http://sxs.webhop.net/]