Hi,

[Bram Moolenaar]
> Vim now supports UTF-8 character encoding internally.  One problem I ran into
> is that there doesn't seem to be any X input method for UTF-8 in Japan.
> Someone suggested to me that an existing euc-jp input method should be used
> and then convert the characters to UTF-8.  That would require the use of
> iconv().

I recommend to support locale-sensible encoding, i.e., EUC-JP in
EUC-JP locale.

The followings are reasons:
 - As far as I know, there are no UTF-8-enabled XIM server for Japanese
   now.
 - Since Japanese input engine is very complex and difficult to implement,
   there are many Japanese input engines, including free and proprietary.
   Japanese people have their own preference on input engines.  Thus,
   developing a new UTF-8 XIM cannot be a solution for Japanese users
   because Japanese users will want to use their own input engines.
 - In future, all of new versions of current XIM softwares may be able
   to use UTF-8.  However, some Japanese users love a certain version
   of a certain input engine, for various reasons like new one is too
   heavy, behavior is different from his/her expectation, and so on.
 - Using UTF-8 XIM for one particular software and conventional XIM for
   other software is annoying; it is just like using QWERTY keyboard for
   one software and DVORAK keyboard for another software.

I recommend that the inputted string is encoded specified by LC_CTYPE
locale.  I.e., just use nl_langinfo(CODESET) and iconv().  It also can
support UTF-8, since a user is expected to set UTF-8 locale to declare
that he/she likes UTF-8 and wants all softwares to assume UTF-8 as
I/O encoding.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota/