At 06:06 25/01/2001 +0100, Bruno Haible wrote:
>libc functions are not available in kernel space. We have a problem
>here. We could make a kernel module for every possible encoding, and
>have any of these modules dynamically loaded when a tty actually is
>put into this encoding.

this is actually not weird at all, not even new.

look at linux/fs/nls - there is already a module per code page supported.
Adding wcwidth() to this might not be the stupidest thing in the world.

no multibyte examples, though :-( - I suspect these were mainly added for
PC filesystem name compatibility.

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
+47 41 44 29 94

-