Ienup Sung writes:

> most of commercial Unix variants I believe at least support EUC by
> downloading width information of the current locale/codeset which is
> usually about 6 bytes in size to ldterm kernel module through
> ioctl(2) so that for canonical input mode (and shells that are
> relying on the canonical input mode) can do erase/kill operation
> correctly.

Thanks for the info. Nice to see that were are not totally
unreasonable when we think about kernel code calling wcwidth :-)

> If you want to see whole function by the way, please download sources of
> Solaris 8.

Please don't do this, Markus. Look at a binary-only distribution of
Solaris instead. It's legally too dangerous if people who had access
to the source of a non-open-source OS continue to contribute to Linux/
GNU/XFree86. Some Linux kernel contributors who had access to parts of
the Windows sources have been legally attacked by Microsoft for
copyright violation. It's hard to refute, if you ever signed the piece
of agreement necessary to get access to a non-open-source OS.

Bruno
-