Hi,

At Sat, 27 Jan 2001 14:37:22 +0000,
Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > When a program does not use readline or equivalent, e.g. ash (because
> > it wants to be small), Oracle (because readline is GPL), nslookup
> > (because nobody bothered to implement it).
>
> Or cat, as in "cat > /tmp/file".

I see.  I understand the importance of the kernel's line editor.
Then, since "cat > /tmp/file" can be done on any terminals (XTerm
in any modes, bare console, kon2, jfbterm, Kterm, Hanterm, Txiterm
[Thai XTerm], and so on so on), the behavior of backspace key on
kernel's line editor should be configurable and should follow
wcwidth() of the library by default.

How about the _libc_, instead of kernel, has the line editor and
getchar() use it?  Then the kernel's line editor can be simple
(can assume 1byte = 1character = 1column) because it is rarely used.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"