On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Carl W. Brown wrote:

> > > wchar_t is a very wrong thing to normalize to, because it is OS and
> > > locale dependent.
>
> I know that it is OS dependent but how is it locale dependent?

 At least under Solaris, it's locale-dependent. I don't know
the details, but it seems like somehow Sun engineers found that it's
better that way (in terms of efficiency or some other metrics....).
There's nothing wrong with wchar_t depending on locale and vendors are
free to implement it the way they want   because no standard stipulates
that it be uniform across locales. However, as Juliusz wrote, this
dependency on locales (as well as on OS) makes wchar_t pretty much
useless.

  Jungshik Shin

-